Saturday 8 December 2012

On Truth

Let us consider for a moment how we know what we know. It can hardly be denied that what we experience is not static. We experience change, and can interact with existence as we perceive it. At least, we can interact with the physical parts of existence. The mental and ethereal portions of reality as we know them, things like numbers and happiness, can be understood by us, but we can't really change anything about them. Or can we?

Well, let's take numbers. What is "3?" It's more than 2 and less than 4. Any child who knows how to count could tell you that. The fact is that when you take an object, another object, and then a final object, and put them together, you have 3 objects. We just can't deny that. Numbers don't seem to be things we can influence. We can understand and use numbers, but no matter how hard we try, we couldn't change the essence of what "3" represents.

This seems to indicate that there is truth. A trio of objects contains three different objects, and no other number of objects. 3 is always 3, never more, never less.

What other things are undeniably true? What if you were sitting across the table from me, and I told you that I was going to throw my drink on the ground? You might just sit there, and then after a few seconds, I would prove myself truthful by throwing my drink on the ground. But what if something stopped me from doing that? What if I reached for my cup, and then a bus smashed through the wall and ran me over? That would make my previous statement about throwing my drink to be untrue.

If someone tells you they're going to do something, you don't know whether what they say is true or not until they do it. Until then, things may happen that prevent them from being truthful. So when I tell you that I'm going to throw my drink on the ground, is there any way to know whether I'm lying until I actually throw it? Is my statement both true and false at the same time because we don't know what the result is going to be? I would say that my statement has the potential to be either true or false, but isn't both true and false at the same time.

So what about God? He knows everything, so he surely knows whether the things I say I'm about to do are true or not. So when I tell you I'm going to throw my drink on the ground, he already knows whether I throw the drink or not, right? Say God knows that I'm going to throw my drink, that makes my statement true. Does this apply with all statements?

It seems that everything we say, or predict, is about to happen, is unarguably true or false, because God knows the eventual outcome, and this foreknowledge causes all human predictions to be irrevocably true or false.

No comments:

Post a Comment