Monday 5 September 2011

Palau Ubin


I recently went to the small Singapore-owned island of Palau Ubin. Aside from the nice new welcome sign below, Palau Ubin looked like it hadn't changed since the 60s.


Remember the Singapore from the beginning of Pirates of the Caribbean 3? Minus the pirates, explosions and British soldiers, Palau Ubin looks just about like that. Everybody lives in these little wooden shacks, there's swamp everywhere, there are abandoned huts everywhere, and the forest is beautiful.





And remember my post about bum boats? I mentioned something about how the bum boats used for tours were rather clean and nice; they must have replaced the old dumpy ones. Well, the old bum boats are what were used to ferry people back and forth from the island.


So I spent the afternoon on a rented bike cycling around the eastern third of the island. I came across numerous interesting locations, such as this empty drink stand:


...And a temple:



So, Palau Ubin is darn pretty. I may very well go back later and explore more of the island.

No comments:

Post a Comment