Tuesday 9 August 2011

The ArtScience Museum

So far, the coolest building I have been in is the Singapore ArtScience Museum. It looks like this:


It was kind of an adventure to even get to the museum, because I didn't actually know where it was. I knew it was within 15 minutes walking distance of the Marina Bay MRT station, but I didn't know much more than that. So after choosing a semi-random direction and drinking a bit of luck juice, I managed to find my way there.

There were three available exhibits; one on Salvador Dali, one on Vincent van Gogh, and one on some sunken boat artifact treasure stuff. I went to the first two.

The van Gogh exhibit was inside this large, oddly shaped room with screens and walls sticking out everywhere, and it didn't actually contain any van Gogh paintings. What you do is you walk into the big dark room, sit on one of the benches, and then hidden projectors project paintings (or parts of paintings) onto the various walls and screens. The artwork changed every once in a while, and dramatic classical music was played all the while. The whole thing was very well put together and really, really artsy.

The Salvador Dali exhibit did actually display some of his artwork. And man, is it demented. Really cool, but demented. The display taught me that Dali not only made surrealist paintings, but also surrealist sculptures, sketches, furniture, and glass art. He also designed the set for a dream sequence in Alfred Hitchcock's movie Spellbound.

Dali made over 1500 pieces of art throughout his life, and I sort of got the feeling that he started to reuse the same old motifs (melting clocks, angel wings, crutches, etc.) later in his career just to pump out more paintings. Still, he did make quite a few unique original paintings, as well as have one of the best mustaches ever.

File:Salvador Dali NYWTS.jpg

NOTE: I didn't include any pictures of the exhibits because photography wasn't allowed, and it's not hard to find art by either of these men if want to go look at some yourself (which I would encourage).

No comments:

Post a Comment